Monday, October 28, 2013

Week 7 Reflection #SEACCR


Amber Hanson
Week 7 Reflection #SEACCR

1. What new resources, curated resources, or ideas did you share this week?

I was able to share an awesome site called “We Give Books” with a few people this week (I also mentioned it on my initial blog).  The website is located here: http://www.wegivebooks.org/ it is perfect place to locate online eBooks of all genres.  I will be using it primarily for having students locate and select nonfiction texts for one of our lessons. 

I also suggested the book “Teach Like A Pirate” to Lenore on her site, as she expressed a desire/interest in upping her enthusiasm for all subject areas.  I figured it could give her that extra boost to becoming the best teacher she could be.

2. What did you intend these new resources, curated resources, or ideas to do in terms of impacting others' learning? 

I am hoping that by sharing “We Give Books” more teachers will be able to adhere to our new Alaska/Common Core standards more efficiently.  I personally have a large collection of nonfictional/informational text in print, but I know that many other people aren’t so lucky.  My sharing this resource perhaps teachers will not worry as much about their personal nonfictional collection, and more on how to increase technology in the classroom while boosting their students comprehension scores!

Although I can tell that Lenore is already a very engaging and enthusiastic teacher from all her posts, I believe that if she read the book she will be able to figure out more ways in which she can aid in students learning.  She may also enjoy it as much as I did, and want to share it with other educators who are perhaps struggling with engagement/enthusiasm for their job. 

3. What was the actual impact (that you could discern)?

Unfortunately due to the last sharing of my blog post, I have yet to see the impact on other class members.  But previously I have had the chance to share the book “Teach Like a Pirate” with other teachers within my school, and we will be beginning a book study when teachers return from Christmas Break!

4. What would you do differently next week?

Next week I intend to attend the last WebEx meeting!  I hope I will be able to at least!  I’ve already told a few co-workers that I cannot be bothered, as I need to attend this.  I will not be tutoring tomorrow either, so I can assure I can log on in a relatively timely fashion.  I will be unable to attend the twitter session on Thursday, due to a school carnival my school will be putting on that afternoon/evening.  I hope to reply more to other student’s blog posts as well.

5. What resources did others share that made a difference to your learning?

A resource that someone shared this week was actually an idea for a lesson.  Well, It was shared last week-but it was after I posted my blog reflection.  The idea was to do a picture walk with a piece of nonfiction literature as a means of having students pick out the main idea/topic of the selected texts.  It was an awesome idea in which I was able to implement within my own Action Research Project.  Thanks again Courtney!

No comments:

Post a Comment