Amber Hanson
Week 4
#SEACCR
Research Proposal
Overview and Rationale
When I initially began formulating my original research question “How
do I use non-fiction text to assist students in learning?” it was purely as a way to insure the
incorporation of one of the key components on the Alaska State Standards. But,
as I began conducting research on the topic I found myself constant asking,
“what exactly do I mean by 'student learning' and how could I actually monitor
the improvement of it”? At the time that I had been conducting research outside
of school for this project, I was also administering the benchmark assessments
for reading comprehension within my school. At the conclusion of this
assessment, I gathered the data together and looked at the results.
After analyzing data
I discovered that nearly three-fourths of all 3rd grade students
fell far below grade level in their ability to comprehend texts. It was at that point, that it clicked
with me. I had asked myself several times before how I could improve students
learning, but never what area they could afford to benefit the most improvement
in. It was through this assessment that I was able to clearly see what our most
lacking area was. What better way to improve reading comprehension than through
the use of informational text? This ‘aha’ moment was what brought me to my new
and official action research question. I knew I could use nonfiction to improve
reading comprehension...how? How I can use informational text to
increase my students reading comprehension.
Methodology
The
participants for this study will be my thirteen third grade students at Hugo T.
Apatiki Elementary School. The class is considered 100%
ELL. All students are of the same
decent-Siberian Yupik.
Student’s reading comprehension level is benchmarked and tracked through
AIMSweb. After viewing the data,
it was discovered that four students are at the ‘above average’ grade level
mark. Five students are at the below average level in reading comprehension and
four students are at the well below average mark. The data from benchmarks will
be used to compare the effectiveness of this project. The project will include the explicit instruction of textual
structure as well as textual feature.
This project will also include ways in which technology can be used to
assist in this instruction.
Data Collection
I
will be collecting data in a variety of formats for my action research
project. This data will be
gathered using qualitative and quantitative methods. I will be recording anecdotal observational notes in a
journal on a daily basis. I will
also be implementing the use of several technology tools to aid in this data
collection. A few of the tools
include: Surveys using Survey Monkey, Smart Response (Clickers), the online
internet program; Starfall, as well as the AIMSweb database to locate and test
the progress of students reading comprehension improvements using the MAZE
comprehension test. In addition to
these tools, I will also be using the paper pencil method to conduct a simple
interests survey to begin the implementation of this project. I will also be gathering data using
exit slips. These exit slips will
be used at the conclusion of each class period. Students will be required to rate their understanding, rate the
usefulness of the lesson, as well as include one thing that they have learned.
Experience over the week
This
past week has been overwhelming to say the least. I spent a total of about 15 hours (probably more) on my
research proposal to find relevant materials as well as the actual construction
of the research proposal itself.
This week I took part in only a small part of the twitter sessions, as I
am having difficulty in attending the sessions at the time in which they are
held. Twitter is blocked at my
school, therefore I am unable to log in at work, and I find that I don’t end up
coming home until about 5-6 every evening. Due to this I’ve had to rely a lot on trying to make sense
of the twitters on tweet deck, as well as communication with other member of
our class using Skype, email and text message. I’m not sure I would have been gotten through this weeks
assignment if it wasn’t for Lenore or Halley.
Halley was my go to person throughout the week as she
answered several of my clarifying questions when I was stuck on specific tasks.
Lenore helped walk me through what
was due this week as well as provided ideas in how I can collect data using
technology. She even sent me her
proposal to use as a model.
Seriously, this girl is amazing.
Overall I feel that I have benefited greatly from collaboration from my
classmates. By having this online
support I feel that I was able to construct an insightful proposal and am well
on my way to starting my Action Research project!
I totally understand the hours put in to this research. I did get an idea for my own data collection when I read your blog so I appreciate that. :) Reading comprehension and vocabulary are key and I have been noticing that the more I drill the vocabulary in SFA. I even play a vocabulary game at the end as we are putting away materials.
ReplyDeleteHey lady!! me again. Kristen Woodie over here in SVA uses a program that creates Maze probes I am not sure if it is in AimsWeb or not. I will check and get back to you. It may be helpful for class activities and not just assessment. Do it as part of your "homework" or reading activities if you can squeeze it in.
ReplyDelete